It is with great pleasure that we introduce you to the litlgeeks. Welcome to our first ever litlgeeks Magic Box video!! We hope you enjoy. Please click like, share, subscribe to our Youtube channel! Check out below the video for links to buy all the great amiibos featured in the video.
The video will show you what amiibos look like, note, they are gorgeous. But let’s talk a little bit about what amiibos are, why you want them, what they do, etc…
Who makes amiibos? Nintendo
What are amiibos? amiibos are tiny sculpted figures standing on a base capable of Near Field Communication (NFC). They depict famous video game (mostly Nintendo) characters.
How do you use amiibos? amiibos work in conjunction with the Nintendo Wii U and NEW Nintendo 3DS and 3DS XL (only the new 3DS and 3DS XL, and only the new 3DS XL has been released in the USA).
amiibos work with several games for the Wii U and new 3DS XL including:
- Super Smash Brothers for Wii U or 3DS
- Mario Kart 8 (some amiibos)
- Hyrule Warriors (all amiibos)
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (some amiibos)
- Mario Party 10 (all amiibos)
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (all amiibos)
How amiibos work in each game is a little different.
- Super Smash Brothers – place an amiibo on the game pad (or New 3DS XL) and you can bring that amiibo into your Smash Brothers fight. You don’t control the amiibo, the amiibo fights with you or against you, and learns / levels up each time it fights. You can customize the amiibos moves and give bonus items to make it stronger.
- Mario Kart 8 – certain amiibos give outfits to Mii drivers of Mario Karts.
- Hyrule Warriors – Tapping an amiibo to the gamepad will give the in game player bonuses and advantages in the game.
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse – same as Hyrule Warriors, in game bonuses, but only from Kirby related amiibos, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight.
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker – The Toad amiibo unlocks a special hide and seek game, but he’s not out yet. The rest of the amiibos will give an in game 1-up.
Why do you want amiibos? I actually get asked this quite a bit, and the best answer I can give, as a parent is that, an amiibo allows my little guys to have a real world representation of an in game opponent that doesn’t necessarily have to be me. Don’t get me wrong, I love playing video games with my litlgeeks, but I can’t always do that. When I can’t do that, litl zombie and litl ninja have their amiibos to fight against in game.
What else do you need to know about amiibos?
- amiibos are delicate. They aren’t good toys for smashing into each other. The paint will chip and they will break.
- amiibos are hard to come by. If you aren’t in on initial pre-orders of some of your favorite characters, you might have a hard time, or pay a lot more for them in the long run. Some amiibos are easy to get, even from the first run, but others are outright impossible to get your hands on!
- amiibos get very good at Smash Brothers quickly, and they will beat the snot out of you and your kids! Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
- Multiple games can read amiibo data, but only one game can write to it. So choose where you want to use your amiibo wisely.
- For Smash Brothers, you must go through an amiibo registration process from the first Smash Brothers menu. This allows you to set a nick name, an owner and a color pattern for your amiibo.
Now, I know that the video didn’t have a ton of great close up shots of the amiibos, so you can check out some great hi-res shots below. The litlgeeks will be back in a little while with our next Magic Box video, so like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram so you can find out the minute we put up our next great video!
This video and post is for entertainment purposes only. | Toys in this post are recommended for ages 6 and up.